Bandits on Sunday released two victims kidnapped during last Tuesday night’s attack on the Kubwa Extension II Relocation Estate, along the Arab Road area of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.
The freed victims, a Christian minister identified simply as Pastor Timothy, and an ex-corps member, Adenike who recently completed the mandatory National Youth Service Corps scheme in November, were released six days after they were abducted alongside five others from their family homes.
Intelligence sources disclosed that they were released following negotiations between the bandits and security forces.
The five victims reportedly still in the kidnappers’ den are two male children, a woman, and two adult males.
The PUNCH had earlier exclusively reported that the bandits had requested a sum of N100million as ransom for Adenike, and N60million for a second second lady.
Official sources at the estate, however, confirmed the release of two victims, adding that they were unsure of the reported kidnap of five others.
Confirming the development on Monday, Chairman of the estate, Suleiman Seidu, said, “Yes, Pastor Timothy and the young lady, Adenike has been released. They were released yesterday.
“I cannot ascertain whether ransom was paid or how much was paid. What I can confirm is that these two persons have been released and are now with their families.
“I also cannot ascertain whether there were other persons still with the bandits. I only know of the two, and they have now been freed.”
The Vice-chairman of the estate, Frank Boboi, said, “We’re happy that Adenike has been released. She was released on Sunday, and has since returned to her family.
“Yes, a ransom was paid, but I can’t disclose the sum, as it is confidential. But we thank God, the community and everyone for their support.”
A family source who pleaded anonymity also confirmed the development when contacted by our correspondent.
The source said, “It is true that Adenike has been released, and she’s now home with the family. Although a ransom was paid for her freedom. We hope that others would be released soon too.”
The spokesperson for the FCT Police Command could not confirm the development when contacted by our correspondent, as she was at the ongoing Nigeria Police Force PRO’s annual conference in Ibadan.
However, her deputy, Omotayo Oduniyi noted that he was yet to confirm the development.
He said, “I’m currently in a meeting. I’ll confirm the development and revert, please.”